Living in West Orange, New Jersey can be an exciting experience, with access to great schools, beautiful parks, and a vibrant community. However, like any community, there are both pros and cons to living in West Orange. From its thriving economy to the high cost of living, this article will explore the benefits and drawbacks of living in this town. Whether you’re considering moving to West Orange or are a current resident, this article aims to paint a full picture of what it’s like living in this lively New Jersey township.
Pros of Living in West Orange
1. Beautiful Scenery – West Orange is located in Essex County and is home to many beautiful parks and natural reserves such as South Mountain Reservation and Eagle Rock Reservation. The parks are great for hiking, biking or just enjoying the outdoors.
2. Great Community – West Orange is a small town with a strong sense of community. It is an inclusive and welcoming place where neighbors know each other and look out for each other.
3. Excellent Education – West Orange has an excellent public school system. Its schools are ranked among the best in the state with small class sizes, dedicated teachers, and rigorous academic programs.
4. Convenient Location – West Orange is in the heart of Northern New Jersey and is close to major highways and transportation hubs. It’s easy to get to New York City, Newark, or Jersey City.
5. Diverse Dining Options – There are many options for dining out in West Orange. Residents can enjoy cuisine from various countries, including Thai, Italian, and Indian.
6. Shopping – West Orange is located near shopping centers and malls that offer a variety of shopping options.
7. Safe Neighborhoods – West Orange has low crime rates, making it a safe community for families and residents.
8. Vibrant Art and Culture – West Orange has a rich history and an active arts community. The town is home to the Thomas Edison National Historical Park and the Luna Stage Theatre Company.
9. Outdoor Recreation – West Orange’s parks and recreation facilities offer a variety of outdoor activities for residents, including swimming, tennis, and golf.
10. Strong Sense of Community – West Orange has a strong sense of community and residents are actively involved in local events and community organizations that promote civic engagement and social responsibility.
Cons of Living in West Orange
1. High Cost of Living: The cost of living in West Orange, New Jersey is higher than the national average. This can make it difficult for individuals and families to afford housing, groceries, and other necessities.
2. Limited Public Transportation: West Orange does not have a reliable public transportation system. Residents may struggle to get around the city and access nearby areas without a car.
3. Traffic Congestion: West Orange is located near major highways and can experience heavy traffic congestion during rush hour. This can make commuting to work or running errands more difficult.
4. Limited Job Opportunities: West Orange is a small town with limited job opportunities. Residents may need to look for work in nearby cities, which can require a long commute.
5. High Property Taxes: Property taxes in West Orange are high compared to other towns in the area. This can make it difficult for homeowners to afford their monthly mortgage payments.
6. Limited Nightlife: West Orange does not have a vibrant nightlife scene. Residents may need to travel to nearby cities to enjoy cultural events or entertainment.
7. Harsh Winter Weather: West Orange experiences cold winters with heavy snowfall. This can make it difficult to get around town and can also increase heating costs.
Cost of Living West Orange
The cost of living in West Orange is relatively high compared to other areas in New Jersey. According to forecasts for 2023, the average cost of living in West Orange for a single person is around $68,000, and for a family of four, it is around $122,000. These numbers have shown an increase from the past years due to the rising costs of housing, transportation, and healthcare. However, it is still possible to find affordable housing options and other cost-saving measures, such as driving less and cooking at home. Overall, while the cost of living in West Orange may be higher than other areas, residents enjoy access to many amenities and a high quality of life.
Best Neighborhoods in West Orange
West Orange is a beautiful township located in the heart of Essex County, New Jersey. It offers a variety of neighborhoods that are suitable for people with different lifestyles, including families, singles, and retirees. The best neighborhoods in West Orange are Eagle Ridge, Forest Hills, Lourdes, and Saint Cloud. Eagle Ridge is known for its luxurious townhomes, serene setting, and great schools. Forest Hills is a quiet and peaceful neighborhood that features charming old homes, tree-lined streets, and easy access to parks and playgrounds. Lourdes is a diverse and close-knit community that offers affordable housing, excellent dining options, and good transportation. Saint Cloud, on the other hand, is a safe and friendly neighborhood that provides a mix of modern and traditional homes, beautiful views of Orange Mountain, and proximity to shops and restaurants. Overall, West Orange is a great place to live, and these neighborhoods offer the best of what the area has to offer.
Moving to West Orange,NJ: Tips and Resources
Moving to West Orange, NJ can be an exciting experience, but it’s important to consider the pros and cons of living in this town. On the positive side, West Orange offers a diverse community, a variety of housing options, and ample recreational activities such as the South Mountain Reservation and the Turtle Back Zoo. However, the cost of living in West Orange can be higher compared to other towns in the area, and traffic can be congested during peak hours. Before making a move, it’s essential to research the town and determine if it’s the right fit for your lifestyle and budget. Utilize resources such as local real estate agencies, school district websites, and community forums to gain insight into the town’s amenities and neighborhoods.
Conclusion: Is West Orange Right for You?
Conclusion: Is West Orange Right for You?After weighing the pros and cons of living in West Orange, it is clear that the town has a lot to offer to its residents. With excellent schools, beautiful parks, and a thriving downtown area, West Orange provides a high quality of life to its inhabitants. However, it is important to consider the relatively high cost of living in the town, as well as the potential for traffic congestion and limited housing options. Ultimately, whether or not West Orange is right for you will depend on your personal priorities and lifestyle. If you value access to amenities and a strong sense of community, West Orange may be the perfect place for you to call home.
Q: What is West Orange, NJ?
A: West Orange is a township located in Essex County, New Jersey, with a population of approximately 48,000 residents.
Q: What are the Pros of living in West Orange?
A: There are many advantages to living in West Orange, including its excellent schools, beautiful parks, convenient transportation options, and vibrant community. West Orange is also home to several local attractions, such as the Turtle Back Zoo and Pleasantdale Chateau.
Q: What are the Cons of living in West Orange?
A: Some of the downsides of living in West Orange include higher-than-average property taxes, a higher cost of living than other areas in New Jersey, and limited job opportunities for those in certain industries.
Q: How is the school system in West Orange?
A: West Orange has an excellent school system, with a variety of public and private schools to choose from. The district has consistently received high rankings for its academic programs, and is home to several National Blue Ribbon Schools.
Q: What is the cost of living like in West Orange?
A: The cost of living in West Orange is higher than the national average. As of 2023, the median home value is approximately $487,000, and the average monthly rent for a two-bedroom apartment is around $2,400.
Q: What are transportation options like in West Orange?
A: West Orange has a variety of transportation options for residents, including easy access to major highways and several public transportation options. The town is served by NJ Transit buses and trains, which provide direct service to New York City.
Q: What is the crime rate in West Orange?
A: The crime rate in West Orange is relatively low compared to other areas in New Jersey. According to the latest data from 2023, the violent crime rate is 2.2 incidents per 1,000 residents, and the property crime rate is 14.3 incidents per 1,000 residents.
Q: What is the demographic makeup of West Orange?
A: West Orange is a diverse community, with a population that is roughly 58% white, 31% black or African American, and 10% Hispanic or Latino. The town has a median household income of approximately $105,000.